Sunday, October 5, 2008

Beatitude

I was just doing my Bible reading this morning and came across the Beatitudes...which is when Jesus is on a hill and speaking to his new appointed apostles. The one that really spoke to me was the one about mercy.

Matthew 5:7

Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

Seems almost too simple. You can miss a lot if you don't really think through that verse. When is the last time that you were completely justified to be upset, angry, even revengeful with someone...and instead of going there...you just blankly forgave and let down the grudges that came with it instead. No residual resentment still building in your mind...just wiped the slate clean and showed mercy. Just think how different this world would be if we all just did this once a day....much less practiced mercy all the time.

There is Ultimate Mercy in Jesus, of course. He is completely justified to shove me away from his sight forever with the way I treat Him, and He doesn't. And there are no grudges either, just open arms.

I think I'm on a mercy mission.

No comments: